Stay Connected
South Florida Fishing Reports, Photos,
Tips from the Pros & More!

Capt. Art Sapp Dec. Report--Sailfish Season is Here

December 11, 2012

One of the great things about South Florida, besides the weather, is the annual migration of sailfish.  Along with the sailfish, of course, come the tournaments. The Liquid fishing team decided to open our season with the SeaVee Mercury Sailfish Kickoff, held on December 8th and 9th. 

The first day started with a twenty-seven pound wahoo skyrocketing on the right middle kite bait.  As expected, it cut us off and went on its merry way.  Fortunately, its merry way lined up perfectly with our left long.  This time luck was on our side and the circle hook found home in the corner of the fishes mouth.  Now we were fishing a sailfish tournament but a wahoo is certainly not upsetting in any situation.  Fishing was pretty difficult for the rest of the day, only getting two shots on the sails.  At the end of the first day, the lead boat had seven fish, a really good catch given the tough fishing. 

The second day started as all of our tournament days do, loading bait and busting each other’s chops.  Practical jokes seem to keep the moral high which is great considering we had the very difficult task of making up a five fish deficit.   We knew it would take a really strong start to have a shot at a comeback.  As it turns out, a strong start was exactly what we would have.  We caught the first three fish of the second day and had five by 10am.  All of a sudden we found ourselves in a race with seven boats, with seven or eight fish each.  At 1:45 we were tied with a boat called Priceless, with ten fish.  We hooked another sailfish, unfortunately this fish was really tough. Forty minutes later we were still fighting the fish.  Now this fish would put us in the lead if we could catch it before Priceless caught one.  Well it happened, the radio cracked and boat fourteen (Priceless) called in a release.  We finally managed to catch and release our eleventh fish and found ourselves tied again but still in second on time.  It was shortly after 2pm, and we really needed another bite.  Not only did we need another fish to take the lead, the fact was we had quite a few boats within a fish or two, somehow we did manage to get that one more bite. 

Now you might think that the pressure would back off a little once you’ve got the lead.  That could not be further from the truth.  We were forced to sweat it out for the last twenty minutes, doing everything we could to get another bite.  We never did get that last bite, but neither did the rest of the teams.  Finally, the clock read 3:00, lines out.   After a ten fish day and a total of twelve for the tournament, we managed to complete the comeback.  What an amazing day.  As it turned out, the wahoo from the first day held up as the largest meat fish of the tournament as well.  That is a perfect example of icing on the cake.

So if you are interested in making some memories of your own, give us a call.

Captain Art Sapp

Native Son Sport Fishing


return to reports